(Sexually Transmitted Disease/Sexually Transmitted Infection)
- Over 15 million Americans will get an STD this year
- 1 in 4 sexually active teens are infected with an STD each year; most don’t know it
- 1 in 5 Americans age 12 and over has genital herpes; most don’t know it
- There are over 30 common types of STDs
- Bacterial STDs are curable, but damage to the body is irreversible
- Viral STDs have no cure, only the symptoms can be treated
- Genital parasites are tiny organisms that infect the genital/reproductive tracts of both men and women
“Many teenagers, as well as adults, are indirectly exposed to more than one sexual partner each year because their partner has had sex with someone else.” – Alan Guttmacher Institute, 1994
Who should be tested?
- Sexually active people (vaginal, oral, or anal sex) at least once a year
- Anyone who has had a new sex partner within the past 6 months
- Partners of infected people
- Intravenous (IV) drug users
HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) is a virus that invades the immune system and destroys it over time. The destruction of the immune system reduces a person’s ability to fight off infections and cancer. The majority of people infected with HIV eventually develop AIDS (acquired immune deficiency syndrome), which is often fatal.
HIV/AIDS, The Facts – The Medical Institute
Technology has come a long way, and we now are able to do initial testing for HIV without invasive and painful blood tests. Our nurses on staff have a simple mouth swab test with the results in 20 minutes.
Other STI testing available for: chlamydia, gonorrhea, hepatitis B, syphilis and herpes.
Contact us today for testing and/or treatment: Call (805) 373-1222 or Click Here to send an email.